I received a pack of silicone baking muffin / cupcake cups from Sunsella and it gave me the perfect excuse to try out this super delicious recipe!! Oh my gosh - the yellow cake is divine. Light, perfectly sweet, lovely texture and consistency all on its own; then you add a generous topping of nutella flavored buttercream frosting?! Divine!
My husband is not a chocolate lover - but he sure does love yellow cake with chocolate frosting; it is his go-to cake whenever asked. That's what he gets every single year for his birthday. I was really excited to give this from scratch recipe a try (I've never done a scratch yellow cake before), and I was extra excited to give the nutella buttercream a try! I just had a hunch that was going to be a big hit with my hubby and son.
This is a keeper for sure - I didn't have any issues with the cake or the frosting and am so pleased to share this one with you - I hope you get a chance to give it a try and enjoy it as much as we have!
Yellow Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream from Chef Savy
¾ cup sugar
2 eggs plus one egg yolk, room temperature
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ cups all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoons baking powder
4 ounces milk, room temperature
Nutella butter cream frosting
2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons Nutella
1 tablespoon milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Takes about 5 minutes.
- Add in eggs and vanilla extract. Mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl mix together the dry ingredients. Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Alternatively add the dry ingredients and milk in two parts to the egg mixture. Make sure to stir in between. Do not over mix. The batter should be thick.
- Fill a cupcake lined pan with batter ⅔ of the way up.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. Make sure a knife or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream butter on high for about 2-3 minutes to get a creamy fluffy texture.
- Add in the powdered sugar on low speed until combined.
- Add in nutella, milk, and vanilla extract. Mix to combine. If the frosting is too runny add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick add some more milk.
- Pipe the icing onto cool cupcakes and decorate as desired. Cupcakes can be stored on the counter at room temperature for a day or two and in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
20% off coupon code 'JJORSB8D'
*Full Disclosure: I received complimentary product from Sunsella for the purpose of review. I received no compensation for this post. All comments are 100% accurate and 100% my own.