Swope Bread

I needed a good hearty bread to go along with beef stew a few days ago and had thought I'd make an Irish Brown Soda Bread, but when I went to bake I realized I only had about 1 cup of whole wheat flour and figured  I'd try something else instead since I love my soda bread to use all whole wheat! I'd never heard of "Swope Bread" but as I did a search through the All Recipe's archives of many, many bread recipes it caught my eye and I clicked on it. It looked simple and the reviews were good so I thought I'd give it a try! I had to use what I had, so I only used about 1 cup whole wheat flour and 2 cups AP flour but other than that followed directions.

This was very easy to throw together, just a few simple ingredients and this loaf only lasted about 2 days in our house because everyone loved it! It was wonderful with the stew and fantastic with some butter, honey butter and/or jam (blackberry, of course) as well! Versatile, hearty and very delicious. It reminded me again how easy homemade bread can be and just how YUMMY it is as well! I am sure we will use this one often. 

You know, I tried to search "what is swope bread" and came up empty - I didn't dig TOO deeply but I thought maybe there would be an explanation for the name since it's rather unusual! I did find lots of other blogs and recipes for pretty much the exact same thing and everyone seems in agreement that this is a wonderful, easy, hearty, slightly sweet bread that the whole family will enjoy! :)

Combined the ingredients in a bowl and mixed well.
Used a spatula to spread it into a pre-greased silicone loaf pan.
Baked for 45 minutes in the pre-heated oven and that was plenty of time for this beautiful loaf!


Can you smell that fresh baked goodness?? Mmmmm...

(I had to taste test... you know... just because...)

Recipe from All Recipes.

Ingredients

1 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white sugar or Stevia
1 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups buttermilk

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.

In a large bowl, stir together AP flour, whole wheat flour, sugar or Stevia and salt. In a separate bowl, dissolve baking soda in buttermilk. Stir buttermilk into flour mixture. Beat well. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 45-60 minutes.

Comments

  1. mmm!! My obsession with bread and butter is ridiculous!I especially like bread that other people make :) This bread looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha!! Bread that other people make is a good thing, for sure. :D This one was super yummy and so easy! My favorite kind! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your swope bread recipe is credited to a woman who collected it during a ski trip to Tyrol. The recipe was printed in 1971 (I found it in the Cleveland Plain Dealer). I have been baking it for over 30 years, and call it Tyrolean swope bread.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts