Pioneer Woman's Whiskey Glazed Carrots

The Pioneer Woman "kick" continues with this wonderful side dish! I had bought cube steak to make Fried Round and when I was browsing some Pioneer Woman recipes yesterday discovered this one and Hot Crash Potatoes and decided this would make a great dinner! I love glazed carrots, and the addition of a little whiskey sounded "southern" and like something Kenneth would enjoy for sure.

Started with whiskey, a stick of butter, 2 lbs of carrots, brown sugar, salt and pepper (which I later forgot to use).

 I diced the carrots into small rounds, after my "kitchen assistant" aka Kent helped peel them all!
 When it was time to get the carrots cooked, I put about a tablespoon of butter in a large non-stick skillet and let that melt over high heat.
 I added in about half of the carrots (enough to cover the surface of the pan, but not overcrowd it).
 When those had sizzled for about 45-60 seconds I gave them a toss and looked for that pretty brown coloring! I let the other side sizzle for another minute or so before removing those to a plate and adding more butter and the other half of the carrots.
 Once the carrots were browned and set aside, I got the whiskey ready! Phew that stuff smells STRONG!!
 Into the hot pan went the whiskey (I forgot to turn the heat down to medium... but after startling myself with the huge sizzling from the liquid hitting the hot pan, I remembered)!
 After that simmered a little while in went the rest of the stick of butter! Arteries, look away!
 Melting down into a yummy golden brown happiness...
 Then comes the 3/4 cup brown sugar!
 Stirring it in to the liquid.
 Until a gooey glaze is formed!
 Next, dump in all the browned carrots and give it a stir! Cover with a lid and let it simmer for about 5 minutes or so. Mmmm...
All plated up and ready to enjoy! I thought these were great - but the whiskey flavor was a little strong for me; I don't think I let it burn off long enough when I first added it to the pan, so I would let that simmer for awhile longer next time - other than that, these were wonderful and definitely enjoyed. Kenneth specifically said the carrots had a great flavor! Pioneer Woman wins again! (Also, I totally forgot to salt and pepper or even TASTE these before I served them but they were still AWESOME!) :D

Pioneer Woman's Whiskey Glazed Carrots Recipe

Ingredients
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, divided
2 - 3 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into circles
½ cups Jack Daniels or other whiskey
¾ cup brown sugar
½ teaspoons salt (to taste)
freshly ground pepper, to taste

Preparation Instructions

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over high heat. Add carrots in two batches, cooking for 60-90 seconds each batch. Remove from skillet.

Pour in whiskey and allow to evaporate 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium, and add remaining butter. When butter melts, sprinkle brown sugar over the top. Stir together, then add carrots to skillet. Cover, and continue cooking for 5 minutes.

Remove lid and add salt and pepper. Continue cooking until carrots are done and glaze is thick, about 5 more minutes.

Pour onto a platter and serve immediately. Sprinkle with chopped chives if desired.

Comments

  1. Oh Pioneer Woman...isn't she great? I just found out that a friend of a friend is going to her ranch. I guess she won that trip on her blog! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ask if you could go in her suitcase?!?! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts