Hospital Bedrest - Day 1

today started out normally enough. i was tired when the alarm went off and snoozed awhile but eventually got up, showered and dressed. i was thankful it was Thursday and i would have a long weekend to get Christmas decorations put up and just relax soon. i stopped for a bacon Gouda sandwich and tall decaf peppermint mocha at Starbucks since that had been sounding good and i had gotten a gift card for Christmas. i can not really say exactly when i started getting uneasy that morning. i think it was around ten thirty. i had been at my desk not doing too much since it was pretty quiet and had what felt like about three braxton hicks contractions fairly close together. normally i only get them upon standing or walking to the car from the office. it just did not feel right. i texted Jenn to let her know and asked if she thought it was worth a call to the ob. she said yes and i left my obs nurse a message. she called back shortly and said yes come in as soon as you can. i got to their office at noon after trying to wrap everything up at the office just in case i did not make it back that day. i sort of thought maybe i would be sent home to put my feet up and told to drink more fluids. i had already made a point to chug some water as soon as i started feeling off earlier. they got me back to a Dr pretty quickly once i got to the ob office around noon. i gave her the same info and said i was not sure what to do with everything but there it was. she said well sounds like we need to check you and ordered a fetal fibronectin test, and a vaginal cervical length check by ultrasound. when she took the swabs for the ffn she also manually checked my cervix and told me i had dilated to a one. crap. at that point we had not done the ultrasound yet but she said to expect to head over to the hospital. the ultrasound confirmed my cervix had shortened to one.six from four centimeters at our last check three weeks prior and was funneling. the girls looked good though, good fluid levels and the tech printed a couple cute pics for Jenn and chad. after the dr reviewed the pictures she sent me straight to the hospital, do not pass go, do not collect one hundred dollars. i cried all the way over. i feel so guilty, feel like my body is failing these two sweet babies and their parents and worry about my kiddo and my puppies at home. i know i am where i need to be to give them the best chance at baking many more weeks but it is still hard to wrap my head around going from all is well and looking good and still working full time to full on hospital bedrest. there are lots of details still to iron out and no solid idea of how long i will be here which makes it hard to plan. the ffn test came back positive and though the dr did not seem to feel we are in immediate danger of an early delivery since there were very few contractions picked up while they had me hooked up to the monitors she said she uses the ffn results more to decide whether care will be inpatient or outpatient which is why they are keeping me at the hospital and she said plan on two weeks. so that has been my day. babies are good, i feel ok, but my cervix has shortened and i will be making myself comfortable here until told otherwise. Jenn and chad came by this evening and brought me a phone charger and some granola bars and my father in law stopped by around four in the afternoon. Kent's great grandmother is going to help with him for a couple days while i figure out something more long term and the fabulous Irina from rotts n pups is going to come pick up miss maple and is helping me find somewhere for my chihuahuas to stay. in the mean time i am doing my very best to lay here, stay positive and trust everything really is going to be ok. and sorry for all lowercase i am typing this on my phone but praying Kent and honey will visit and bring me my laptop and a few other items from home soon.

Comments

  1. Hang in there!! I hope hospital bed rest isn't too boring :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebekah!! So sorry you are stuck on bedrest, but things will be OK! I am praying for you and those baby girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always thinking of you during this time, Rebekah. Hang in there, you're doing fabulous! I can relate to the feeling of going from "everything's normal" to the complete opposite. It's a lot to deal with. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. This is not the post I was hoping to read from you. :-( I'm sorry. Good for you for paying attention to your body and what it was telling you. Hang tough, girl! All will be well. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it's not the best news ever, but it's not too bad either. We'll just pray for a short stay in the hospital and hopefully keep you entertained with our blogs while you're in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i survived 55 days in the hospital...the most important thing is staying positive!!! stress brings on more contractions, just stay focused on the goal!!! you can email me if you want wbwatts@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts