My husband's aunt and uncle gave us a crock pot and a little homemade recipe book for Christmas 1999 - it was a little notebook with a few of their favorite recipes written in on the first few pages with lots of room for me to add more recipes in the following pages! The lasagna recipe she included is one we've been using ever since. We tweaked a little to suit our own tastes (as in added lots more cheese!!) and all really enjoy this recipe! We almost always eat this with either green beans or a Caesar salad and some good garlicky cheesy french bread or Texas Toast.
9 lasagna noodles (I typically use whole wheat)
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, diced
salt and pepper, to taste
garlic powder, to taste
Italian seasoning, to taste
1 can mushrooms, drained
1 26 oz jar or can of spaghetti sauce
2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese (or ricotta)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 TBS Italian seasoning
1 TBS garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook ground beef and onion in large nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat until beef is browned and onions are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and discard grease. Season meat with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder to taste. Add mushrooms and mix in.
3. Simultaneously, bring a large pot of water to boil and add lasagna noodles. Cook about 5 minutes.
4. Combine all "cheese mixture" ingredients, mix well.
5. In a 9x13 baking dish spread a thin layer of spaghetti sauce. Place three of the noodles over this (they can be a little wet still, you don't need to dry them off). Spread half of the meat mixture over the noodles, followed by half of the cheese mixture and top with 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese. Pour half of remaining spaghetti sauce over the cheese. Cover with three more noodles, remaining meat mixture, remaining cheese mixture and 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese. Add the last three noodles, spread remaining spaghetti sauce over the top and cover with about 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese.
6. Cover with foil and bake in the pre-heated oven for 1 hour. Remove foil for last 10 minutes of baking. Allow to rest 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.