The original recipe by whatmegansmaking can be found here on Tasty Kitchen.
I followed the ingredients, but reduced each to fit our tastes and the amount of bread I was using. I used a 7 oz. frozen multigrain loaf, thawed, for ours and about 1.5 TBS Smart Balance margarine, 1.5 tsp garlic powder, 1 large garden fresh tomato - thinly sliced, a pinch of salt, about 1 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp Italian Seasonings and probably 3/4 - 1 cup shredded mozzarella. On one of the halves I sprinkled on some grated parmesan before adding the mozzarella to see if that added to the flavor - I thought both were good, but it didn't need the parmesan. The garden fresh tomatoes were the star for sure - this was so yummy!
Cheesy Tomato Bread by whatmegansmaking on Tasty Kitchen
- 1 loaf French Bread, Sliced Lengthwise
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder, To Taste
- 4 whole Tomatoes Thinly Sliced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Oregano
- 8 ounces Sliced Or Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Spread each half of the bread with butter and sprinkle with garlic powder to taste. Lay the tomato slices on top, then sprinkle with salt, olive oil and oregano. (If your tomatoes are very juicy, lay them on a paper towel to absorb some of the liquid before adding them tot he bread.)
- Top with cheese and place on a foil lined baking sheet (silpat works great if you have one). Bake for 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts and the bread begins to toast. Turn the oven to a lo broil and and leave them in the oven for 2-3 minutes longer, or until the cheese browns. Remove the bread from the oven and slice into desired serving sizes.