Crock Pot Chili

This was a WONDERFUL recipe - great for those cool days when you really want to be able to go out all day, for work, errands, or school, and come home to a ready to enjoy dinner that will fill you up and leave you satisfied.

I found this on Coleen's Recipes about a year ago, and finally got around to making a version of it last night! I tweaked a few things based on personal preference, and what I had available and listed those changes in the version below. My husband and son both really enjoyed this recipe, and I did too! I was a little light on the seasonings and thought it needed a little bit more flavor (the original recipe called for a small can of chilies, which I omitted, but think it needed them - that's why I suggest adding a can of diced tomatoes with chilies, which I will be adding next time!)

We served ours over some steamed brown rice, and it was hearty, filling, and comforting on a cold night!

Getting the ingredients ready to go!

Everything but the beans ready in the crock pot.

The soaked beans on the stove (I did the quick soak method).

All the ingredients ready to simmer the day away!


Crock Pot Chili slightly modified from Coleen's Recipes

Ingredients

1 16-oz bag dry Pinto beans
1 lb ground beef
1 medium/large onion, diced
1 can rotel tomatoes with chilies (I didn't include this in my version but wished I had, I thought it needed it)
4 medium carrots, grated (about 2 cups)
3 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon dry oregano leaves
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
½ teaspoon black pepper
5 cups chicken broth (or water and chicken bouillon)
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions

  1. Either pre-soak your beans overnight, or do a quick soak in the morning (rinse them, then place in a large pot with 5 cups of water; bring to a full boil and allow to boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and allow to sit for 1 full hour. Then drain them, rinse them well, and continue with the recipe).
  2. Place soaked beans, ground beef, onion, rotel tomatoes (if using), carrots, seasonings, and chicken broth in a large crock pot.
  3. Cover and set to low heat for 10 hours, stirring a couple times to break the ground beef up (I put mine in frozen, and stirred it after about 2 hours and then once or twice more in the afternoon/evening).
  4. About 30 minutes before you're ready to eat, stir in the cheddar cheese and let that melt in.
Serve over rice, with cornbread, with more cheese, sour cream, etc. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts