Fantastic Bacon Wrapped Bratwurst


We had a package of 4 brats from our CSA and I wanted to find something new to try for them. I came across this recipe on AllRecipes and it looked awesome! It is an appetizer recipe, but I figured it would work great as a main dish as well. I modified the recipe slightly, and my modifications are reflected below.

I did get a LOT of smoke in the kitchen with this one! That brown sugar dripping off into the bottom of the broiler pan was burning and causing a lot of smoke to come up through the openings on the stove and into the kitchen, so I had the vent on the last half of this one cooking in the oven. My husband really liked the smell though, and it was definitely worth it - they tasted fantastic! Sticky, sweet, and of course bacon makes everything better. :) This was quick and easy and great for a weeknight meal.

The ingredients, lined up and ready to go,
4 beautiful brats.
In the apple cider to simmer for 15 minutes.
After simmering, I laid them out to cool while I prepped
the brown sugar mixture.
Rolling in the brown sugar mixture, pressing in to coat well.
Stretched out a piece of bacon and wrapped around
each brat, pressed the remaining brown sugar on top.
After 25 minutes in the oven, browned and ready to enjoy!
Yumm!
Served on a bun with mustard and BBQ sauce (for the boys!)
and a garden salad on the side.
Bacon Wrapped Bratwurst (slightly modified from Ssharp on AllRecipes.com)

Ingredients
4 bratwurst
4 cups apple juice or apple cider
5 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
4 slices bacon

Directions

  1. Poke bratwurst several times with a small fork, and place into a saucepan with the apple juice or apple cider. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the bratwurst from the apple juice or cider, and allow to cool for a few minutes until they're easy to handle.
  2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line the bottom of a broiler pan with aluminum foil, and put the rack on top.
  3. Combine the brown sugar and cayenne pepper together in a large bowl (or pie plate). Roll the bratwurst in the brown sugar and cayenne mixture to coat (press it in all around), then wrap each brat with 1 slice of bacon - secure edges with toothpicks if desired. 
  4. Place brats on the broiler pan and press any remaining brown sugar mixture along the tops of the brats.
  5. Bake in preheated oven until the bacon is brown and crisp, 25 to 35 minutes.

Comments

  1. Alright, so you know I'm a fan of yours but this has to be one of my favorite recipes you've posted. Looks so easy yet amazingly delicious. And you can't go wrong with bacon...I know one dish that's being added to the menu this week. Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D I agree - anything with bacon is a good start. :) I hope you guys enjoy it as much as we did!! I am a huge spice wimp and probably only used about 1/4 tsp for ours - there was only the TINIEST bit of heat with that amount.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts