Homemade Baby Food ~ Pumpkin Apple Blend






My explorations into making healthy and tasty homemade baby food continues! I had purchased a large package of organic pumpkin puree through Amazon awhile back when I was making fall baked goods last season. I still have a few left, and know pumpkin is another good food that Lindsey is ready to try out! I looked through the pumpkin information on WholesomeBabyFood and through the recipe suggestions and opted for a simple apple / pumpkin blend for her first taste. I figure this is kind of pumpkin pie for babies.

This combination turned out great! I always taste test her food, and really liked the smooth creamy texture and the hint of sweetness from the juice and baked apples blended in. I didn't take the skins off of the apples for baking / pureeing (but I did scrub them before baking), but you can if you desire or are worried about digestibility. Lindsey is just over 8 months old now and and she happily ate her whole serving of this tasty mixture and was looking for more!

I put about 4 ounces in the refrigerator and stored the rest in the freezer to try later - it thawed great, just needed a quick stir to recombine everything evenly.

Pumpkin Apple Blend Puree

Ingredients
16 oz pumpkin puree
2 apples
1 - 2 tsp butter or margarine
sprinkle of cinnamon
1/4 cup apple juice
water as needed
Other optional spice suggestions: nutmeg, ginger

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice apples in half, use a spoon to cut the core out. Place apples in a baking dish (cut side facing up) and add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Smear the inside of the apples lightly with butter / margarine, sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake for 45 - 60 minutes or until very tender.
  2. Place baked apples and pumpkin into blender with the apple juice; blend. Add additional water to thin to desired consistency.

Comments

Popular Posts