#10Daysof Tailgate - Grilled Avocado with Melted Cheese & Karma Hot Sauce



Welcome to another beautiful day of #10DaysofTailgate - more delicious recipes to get you through tailgating (or homegating) season!

This is a super quick and easy recipe - you could use it in a variety of ways - eat it with a spoon, serve with a salad, scoop it out and smear it on a tortilla and serve with grilled chicken or taco meat, serve with tortilla chips like a dip... the list goes on. This is super versatile, super easy, and SUPER quick!

It is warm, gooey, creamy, spicy, and cheesy. If you like those things, definitely give this one a try. Tweak the cheese depending on how you intend to you use it. I used all mozzarella, but wish I'd used half parmesan / half mozzarella for some more flavor (the original recipe calls for all Parmesan).

You may be thrown by the name - there is no "grilling" involved, in the traditional, American, sense of the word. However this recipe comes from an Australian author, and the word grilling is equivalent to our word broiling! I just liked the sound of a "Grilled Avocado" - so I left the name. :) I also love the original post I found the recipe from - she goes into great detail about the origins of the avocado which I found very fascinating!

In this recipe I also had the chance to try out the Carrot Karma Hot Sauce from Intensity Academy. I am a borderline spice wimp, and I really liked this carrot-based sauce. It has some definite habanero heat, but there was a nice balance to the flavors with the carrot-base. I will gladly use this again in place of other hot sauces for seasoning and sauces; I really enjoyed it! So versatile, you can use it in everything. The next thing I have plans for this sauce include grilled shrimp... mmm...

Don't forget to link over to the Give Away post here! You will find FOURTEEN fantastic prizes from our amazing sponsors - make sure to enter!

Grilled Avocado with Melted Cheese and Karma Hot Sauce adapted from Morsels and Musings

Ingredients
1 avocado (medium, halved and pit removed)
2 tsp Carrot Karma Hot Sauce
2 tsp lime juice
2 TBS shredded cheese (parmesan, mozzarella, Mexican blend, Colby jack, etc.)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to a lo-broil.
  2. Place avocado halves on a baking sheet and use a knife to score them (cut lengthwise and crosswise several times).
  3. Spoon in the hot sauce and lime juice, spread gently.
  4. Sprinkle half a tablespoon of cheese onto each avocado half.
  5. Put prepared avocados in the oven and broil for 2 minutes.
  6. Remove, add remaining cheese, and turn oven to hi-broil. Broil another 2 minutes, or until cheese is fully melted and beginning to brown.
  7. Serve immediately.

Disclaimer: Intensity Academy provided me a free sample of the Carrot Karma Hot Sauce; all opinions stated are my own.

Here's what the rest of the team brought to the table...


Starters
Pretzel Sticks with Two Sauces by Eliot’s Eats
Cherry Chipotle BBQ Pork Nachos by The Spiffy Cookie
Duck Poppers by CafeTerra
Duck Bacon Pumpkin Soup by Culinary Adventures with Camilla

Dips
Corn and Cheddar Dip by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Steakhouse Deviled Egg Dip by From Gate to Plate

Mains
Ultimate Bacon Burger by Cheese Curd In Paradise
Cincinnati Turkey Chili by The Pajama Chef
Smoky Date Pulled Pork by Curious Cuisiniere

Sides
Just Ducky Baked Beans by A Day in the Life on the Farm

Sweets
Linebacker-Sized Chocolate Chip Cookies by Things I Make (for Dinner)
Rocky Ledge Bars by Debbi Does Dinner Healthy
Pear Poppy Snails {Birnen Mohn Schnecken} by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen

Comments

  1. What a marvelous ooey-gooey package of things I love. I won't wait for a tailgate party for this one... hmm, maybe a midnight snack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this would be a perfect midnight snack! :) Satisfies all sorts of cravings in one little perfect spicy, creamy package.

      Delete
  2. I've never had hot avocado. I can only imagine it tastes divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea of a warm avocado freaked my son out - but I told him we put it in hot sandwiches all the time, so what's the difference? I convinced him to give it a try. :D

      Delete
  3. I didn't know you could grill an avocado! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that the Australian author calls it a grilled avocado - even if we would call it broiled; the name was perfect so I left it. :)

      Delete
  4. I've been known to scoop avocado straight from it's skin using chips before. This will just increase my desire to do such things, love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Erin - you are brilliant. I need to scoop an avocado out of the shell with chips... mmm...

      Delete
  5. I have never thought to grill an avocado, but this sounds like something we will have to try before grilling season is up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Sarah!! Good addition to the grilling season goodies - and an excuse to eat a creamy, cheesy avocado; didn't take much to convince me. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts