This is yummy! My neighbor gave me this recipe to try since she knows we are bacon fans around here - so I whipped it up and we all had happy and full tummies that evening!! Super creamy, simple garlicky flavors and the bacon is the "icing" on the chicken! :) Great combo of flavors. We will definitely tuck this one away in the file to pull out again soon. Can't wait to try it again with different add ins like sauteed mushrooms and spinach. I used a full 8-oz brick of cream cheese for about 3 chicken breast halves, 1 which I sliced in half and 2 which I pounded thin and we had too much cream cheese for the amount of chicken. Make sure you have at least 6 pieces to work with or you'll have too much cream cheese mixture per piece of chicken. I even think you could probably use this for about 8 pieces pretty easily. Tweak to your preferences and tastes - enjoy!
Bacon Wrapped Cream Cheese Chicken
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (3 - 4 medium sized chicken breast halves), sliced in half horizontally (at least 6 pieces of chicken to work with total)
1 8-oz brick cream cheese (allow to sit at room temp for about 20 - 30 minutes for easier blending)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 TBS minced garlic
2 slices of bacon per chicken breast you are wrapping
salt and pepper to taste
Other add-in suggestions: diced sautéed onion, sautéed mushrooms, sautéed spinach, diced green onion, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Layer bacon strips on a cooking sheet, and when oven is pre-heated, put the bacon in the oven for 8 minutes to partially cook it.
- Combine cream cheese, garlic powder and minced garlic in a bowl (if you're using any other "add-ins", mix into the cream cheese mixture as well).
- Lightly season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Divide cream cheese mixture between the chicken breasts (about 2 - 3 TBS per chicken piece). Roll breasts around cream cheese, wrap with 2 strips of bacon and secure with toothpicks.
- Place rolled chicken into a 9x13 baking dish and bake uncovered in the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes. Check bacon - if it's not already browned, turn oven to a lo-broil and cook another 3 - 5 minutes or until the bacon browns and looks a little crispy.
- Serve hot, and enjoy!