#PumpkinWeek - Pumpkin Scones (Starbucks Copycat)



Welcome to #PumpkinWeek hosted by Terri from Love and Confections. We are celebrating our love of the season with a whole week of pumpkin goodies, leading up to National Pumpkin Day. 17 Food Bloggers have come together to share over 65 recipes with you. In addition to homemade pumpkin puree, pie, and cookies, we are also sharing savory pumpkin dishes like hummus, chili, and pumpkin corn chowder. Come back every day this week for #PumpkinWeek recipes. You can also find these great recipes and more on Love and Confections' #PumpkinWeek Pinterest Board!

For my #PumpkinWeek kick off recipe I am sharing these delicious, tender, and flavorful pumpkin scones! These smelled WONDERFUL when they were baking in the oven - the whole house smelled like fall. I also adore the color - pumpkin gives such a rich, warm, and inviting color to the items it is used in.

I used Cinnamon Plus in place of the called for spices in the original recipe - you can use pumpkin pie spice or see the original recipe for amounts / spices. I also used a small container of prepared icing that we had ready to use up so didn't make the glaze as recommended below, though we still have a couple scones left so I will make a smaller batch for those ones.

These are a wonderful fall treat - perfect for a chilly morning with a cup of your favorite coffee, or as a tasty snack in the afternoon (or heck, they would make a great dessert treat too!)

I absolutely love fall baking season, and these are a wonderful addition to our pumpkin baked goods line up - I know we will definitely be enjoying these again.

We are preparing to move next weekend, so these are also a nice, quick, portable breakfast for busy mornings like we've been having lately! This past weekend was a complete BLUR! We've gotten so much boxed up and moved over to Kenneth's grandmother's house as temporary storage, but there is still so much more to do. We're getting down to the "bigger" stuff though, so by the end of this week we should be in pretty good shape for renting a U-Haul and getting pretty much everything relocated between Friday and Sunday. Fingers crossed. My kitchen is down to bare bones, and I'm ready to have it back together and be able to cook and bake like normal again soon!

Pumpkin Scones (Starbucks Copycat) from Cooking Classy

Ingredients

Scone
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 tsp cinnamon plus
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp canned pumpkin puree, chilled (do not chill in metal can, place in a tupperware or small bowl)
3 1/2 Tbsp buttermilk
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp half and half

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp half and half, then more as needed

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon plus, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Whisk together to combine and then cut in the butter with a pastry cutter until mixture is well blended and resembles coarse crumbs.
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the chilled pumpkin puree, buttermilk, egg, vanilla and honey. Blend on medium to high speed until well combined and smooth.
  4. Create a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture. Combine with a wooden spoon just until blended. 
  5. Lightly flour the counter and pour mixture out, knead a few times to bring the dough together and then pat into a circle about 3/4 inch thick.
  6. Use a floured knife to cut the circle into 8 wedges and gently place them on a parchment (or silpat) lined baking sheet.
  7. Brush the tops of the scones with the 1 TBS half and half.
  8. Bake in preheated oven for 13 - 15 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Set on a cooling rack for 10 minutes while you prepare the glaze (you want to glaze them when they are still warm so it will soak in).
  9. Combine the powdered sugar with 2 TBS half and half - you want a fairly thick consistency. Add additional half and half to thin if necessary.
  10. When scones have mostly cooled, spread the glaze generously over each and allow it to set.


Check out all the #PumpkinWeek Bloggers and their recipes from today:
Pumpkin Loaf by Love and Confections
Lemongrass-Kissed Sankaya (Thai Pumpkin Custard) by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Brown Butter Pumpkin Cupcakes with Biscoff Frosting by The Spiffy Cookie
Pumpkin Peach Smoothie by Happy Food Healthy Life
Egg and Pumpkin Breakfast Cups by Curious Cuisiniere
Witches Eye Glass Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes by Lady Behind The Curtain
Easy Homemade Pumpkin Puree by Life Tastes Good
Pumpkin Orange Soup by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Macaroni with Kale and Creamy Pumpkin Sauce by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Roasted Pumpkin and Chickpea Samosas by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Butter by My Catholic Kitchen
Pumpkin Scones by Making Miracles
Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies by The Pajama Chef
Pumpkin Molasses Cookies by That's My Home
Pumpkin Spice Overnight Oatmeal by Dizzy Busy and Hungry















Comments

  1. I love pumpkin scones...and your glazed version looks delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they smelled wonderful! I am getting hungry looking at all these recipes. Pumpkin Scones are on my Fall to-bake list. Thanks for joining in #PumpkinWeek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting Terri! I've never done pumpkin scones before, so this was a fun baking project - I love how versatile pumpkin is!

      Delete
  3. I can't believe you took time during packing to join us in Pumpkin week but I am sure glad you did. These sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy I wasn't sure when we would be moving when I signed up initially, but thankfully I was able to at least get most of the baking / photo taking done before this week of insanity arrived! :)

      Delete
  4. I have never been a fan of store bought scones but ever since I tried making them at home I love them! Must try these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade are so much better! I really loved how soft these ones are - they are very lightly spiced so you can top them and "jazz them up" however you prefer! My son thinks they'd be good with a brushed butter and cinnamon sugar topping. :)

      Delete
  5. Wowie! I LOVE pumpkin scones, Rebekah. Thanks for sharing this recipe with #PumpkinWeek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Camilla!! I am glad I finally had the chance to be introduced to pumpkin scones!! :)

      Delete
  6. I love the aromas of fall baking! These scones look absolutely delish! Good luck on the move!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love scones but I have never tried pumpkin scones. They look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your scones are a awesome recipe that I know my family will love. So glad you shared

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts