#FoodieExtravaganza ~ Western Bacon Burgers with BBQ Mayo and Crispy Onion Strings


Foodie Extravaganza is where we celebrate obscure food holidays or cook and bake together with the same ingredient or theme each month. This month we celebrate National Hamburger Month by serving up burgers of all kinds.

Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to participate in the next Foodie Extravaganza, just go to our Facebook page to join. We would love to have you!

Follow our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest board for past events and more deliciousness!


The crispy onion strings are what make this sandwich extra special - combined with yummy salty, crispy bacon (which I forgot to put on before I took pictures) and the creamy BBQ Mayo, this is the perfect summer burger to share and enjoy!

When I saw this recipe I thought this would be a great "at-home" version of the Carl's Junior Western Burger, and it was probably about as close as I'm going to get. We enjoyed these - the BBQ Mayo was very good with the other combination of ingredients.



This month's Foodie Extravaganza Delicious Burger Selections:

Western Bacon Burgers with BBQ Mayo and Crispy Onion Strings adapted from La Creme De La Crumb

Ingredients
1 pound ground beef
½ white onion
2 cups buttermilk
½ cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1/4 cup mayo
8 slices of bacon, cooked til crisp
4 hamburger buns
optional: lettuce and cheese (I used Cabot White Oak Cheddar Cheese)

Directions
  1. Thinly slice onion. (The slices should be thin enough that you should be able to see the knife through the end of the onion where you're slicing). Place onion slices in a shallow dish and pour buttermilk over the onions. Move them around so they are all in the buttermilk, but they don't have to be completely covered. Let them soak for about 10 minutes. 
  2. In bowl combine flour, salt, garlic power, paprika, and cayenne pepper and whisk until well mixed. Dip the onions in the flour mixture, tossing to coat. Put them all in a bowl.
  3. Fill a pan with ½ inch of oil. Heat oil to 300 degrees. Use tongs to place coated onions in the hot oil. After about 30-40 seconds, turn them over once and cook another 30-40 seconds, until golden brown and crispy. Place fried onions on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
  4. Preheat grill. Shape ground beef into 4 equal sized patties and season lightly with salt and pepper on both sides. Grill burgers 4-5 minutes on each side until desired doneness is reached.
  5. Whisk together mayo and bbq sauce. Spread some bbq mayo on the inner sides of top and bottom hamburger buns. Top with grilled burgers (topped with cheese if using), bacon, fried onions, and lettuce and / or tomato if desired. Serve immediately.


Comments

  1. I'd never heard of a western burger so I was waiting with great interest to see what that entailed. Barbecue mayo sounds delicious and I love those crispy onion strings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love those crispy onion strings. Such a great looking burger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. I love the onion strings and bbq mayo on this

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful combination! I have heard that Carl Jr Burger before, and what a great take on it. BBQ mayo, though, I am going to have to make some of this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BBQ mayo and the crispy onion straws sound like wonderful toppings for a burger! We would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing! I don't eat at fast food restaurants usually, but I can totally see myself making this version. Thanks for sharing, Rebekah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I practically lived off of western bacon burgers my sophomore year of college. Horrible, I know; but I still love barbecue sauce and fried onion on my burgers, so I must not have been all that traumatized. ;) Love you version!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A bit of crunch with these onions sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crispy onions are my absolute favorite burger topping but I've never attempted making them myself. You've inspired me, Rebekah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like the perfect burger.Love the onions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh goodness, this sounds so good. I love the onion straws too. I will have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts