Classic Chocolate Cupcakes ~ Happy 2nd Birthday Lindsey!


If you want a solid, delicious, tender, light, moist, and delightful chocolate cupcake recipe then definitely give this one a try. I couldn't have been any happier with how these came out! Their texture was perfection, so light and so moist inside and I loved the addition of some mini chocolate chips for extra little creamy rich morsels tucked into the cake.


No one in my house is huge on frosting, and with how tasty the cake came out I didn't feel the need to cover these beauties up, so we just dusted them with some powdered sugar and called it a day.

Yesterday was Lindsey's 2nd birthday party - nothing fancy or big, just 4 of us at the house (me, my sister, Kent and Lindsey), but we decorated with a minion theme (my sister blew yellow balloons up and drew adorable faces on several), and we had a banner and some minion plates and yellow polka dot napkins.


We put out munchies and I made a batch of mini homemade pizzas for everyone as a mid-day meal after Lindsey got up from her nap. She had a blast and ate way too many cheetos and was thoroughly spoiled with love and attention. She got lots of stickers and some coloring sheets, and her big gift from me was a trike (she's a little small for it still, but she'll grow into it) and my sister gave her soft rocking unicorn that she's been loving on.


My 16 year old (who will be 17 in a little more than 2 months - eep!) scarfed down almost all of the mini pizzas... you would think I would be used to this by now.

My baby girl (who actually turns two on the 17th) is such an amazing little person. I just can't even fully express to you how much of my heart my kids hold. That quote Making the decision to have a child - it is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.” could not possibly be any more true for me. It has been such a joy watching Lindsey growing and learning this past year - especially these past few months. She is such a smartie pants, so funny, independent, strong, sassy, and a total cuddle bug when the mood strikes. She tests my patience, and melts my heart - often within the span of 60 seconds. She is constantly cracking me up with her grins and giggles and "I funny!" and killing me with her requests for "hug" and telling me "too" for I love you too. 

She loves our dogs, pizza, chips, her homemade smoothies, her dollys, Monsters Inc., Mulan, Lilo and Stitch, soft fuzzy blankets to cuddle in, hugs, patting me on the back and arm, surrounding herself with tons of stuffed animals, waking up grumpy, picking out her own shoes, counting, singing, dancing, giggling, Caillou, her godmommy Tasha, balls, crayons, stickers, play cooking, balloons, Anna (from Frozen), and "Let It Go", getting tickled, throwing things in the trash, no clothes / diaper, flushing the potty, tubby time, rubber ducks, bubbles, Elmo, fish (not to eat - to look at), noodles, grits, peanut butter, eggs, cheese, canned corn, strawberries, orange slices (red or purple versions), reading books, and I'm sure a bunch of other things I'm forgetting - but those are the ones that come to mind today. She has her own strong little personality, wants, preferences, needs, desires, opinions, and she's not afraid to let you know what they are (and get mad at you if you can't figure it out quickly enough). She's quite the conversationalist and her huge vocabulary continues to grow on what seems like a daily basis. I cannot wait to experience this next year with her, and continue watching her learning, growing, and developing. I am also praying for the "Terrific Twos" instead of the "other kind" as my friend Laurie put it the other day! :)


Classic Chocolate Cupcakes from Sally's Baking Addiction

Ingredients
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
optional: 1/4 - 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 and prepare about 14 - 15 total muffin cups with liners.
  2. Combine cocoa powder, AP flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a mixing bowl; whisk to combine and set aside.
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vegetable oil and vanilla. Blend until creamy and well combined. Add in about 3/4 of the dry mixture, mixing on low speed just until mostly incorporated, add the buttermilk, and remaining dry mixture. Allow to mix only until combined - don't over mix (finish by hand with a spatula to get the sides clean). If using the mini chocolate chips (yumm) stir them in my hand.
  4. Pour batter into prepared liners, filling each only half full (I got 15 cupcakes from my batter) - they will rise nicely so don't overfill. Bake only one pan at a time for 18-20 minutes (18 was long enough in my oven), or until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean. 
  5. Set pans on a cooling rack and allow to cool at least 15 minutes or so until moving cupcakes out of pans and allow to finish cooling on the rack.
  6. You can follow the link to the original recipe (linked above) for a recommended frosting recipe - or I suggest a light powdered sugar dusting.



Comments

  1. Happy Happy Birthday Lindsey!! They grow up so fast, my Little Miss is going to be a year old on the 19th.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts