Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup


I really liked this recipe - it brought back many childhood memories for me since my dad used to make a lot of these types of soup dishes with leftover turkey or chicken meat. Rice, chicken, veggies, broth and low and slow cooking for a hearty, thick, creamy dish.


I doubled the recipe as written below for my large slow cooker so I'd have a big batch, with the intention of freezing half, but so far we've kept it in the refrigerator to eat and enjoy! This kind of soup is really perfect for these cooler fall days and the flavors are mild, but unique and for me - just right. That cumin gives just a little something "extra".


I found mine thickened up more than I would have liked once it cooled, so might cut the flour / milk mixture in half next time, or add additional broth if there's not enough "soup" left in your soup!

We heated up a crusty loaf of bread with butter and garlic and it was the perfect accompaniment to this tasty dish.


Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup adapted from Back for Seconds

Ingredients
6 cups chicken stock (or 6 cups water and 6 chicken bouillon cubes)
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts and / or thighs (I used a mix)
2 bay leaves
2 stalks celery (chopped)
1 medium onion (chopped)
2 carrots (chopped)
salt (to taste - I didn't add any)
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
3/4 cups long grain rice (not quick cooking rice)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
10-oz frozen peas (or 1 can peas, drained)

Directions
  1. Place chicken stock through cumin in a large crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours. 
  2. Add uncooked rice. Cook for one more hour (still on low).
  3. 30 minutes before you're ready to serve, break the chicken up into desired sized chunks and mix in the frozen (or canned) peas. Combine the milk and flour in a small container, cover and shake or use a whisk to blend completely until smooth. Stir mixture evenly into soup. Cover, turn heat to high, and allow to thicken.
  4. Taste test, adjust seasonings if needed. 
Serving suggestion: serve with wedges of crusty bread.



Comments

Popular Posts