These are very tasty and portable treats that are perfect for the fall weather. I made these about a month or so ago and am finally getting around to sharing them! We all enjoyed the tender, flaky crust, and tender, lightly spiced apple filling. The caramel bits add an extra touch of "special" and a few extra chewy and sweet bites.
These would be perfect for your next get together - they are tasty dessert treats that are easy to hold with your hand and enjoy - no plate and fork required, so perfect for a social gathering. Plus, they're adorable!
If you like a little extra "spice" you could dust with cinnamon sugar on top after the egg wash. Also, of course feel free to use your favorite homemade pie crust recipe instead of store bought - I decided to use up a couple I had in the freezer for this recipe.
Mini Caramel Apple Hand Pies adapted from Fretucake
1-box store-bought refrigerated Pillsbury pie crust (2 rolls)
2 cups peeled and chopped apples (about 3 apples, diced small)
2 TBS all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp apple pie spice mix
1/4 cup sugar
5 - 6 store-bought soft caramels, cut into small pieces
1 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS egg whites, whisked
sugar for dusting, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and line a baking sheet with Silpat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the diced apples, lemon juice, apple pie spice mix, sugar and flour. Mix until apples are thoroughly coated. Set aside.
- Unroll the pie dough onto a well-floured surface. Using a 3-inch circular cookie cutter or glass, cut out as many circles as possible. Using a rolling-pin, roll out the scraps and continue cutting out circles until you run out of dough.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the apple filling into the center of half of the pie circles. Make sure to leave enough of a border around the filling to seal them shut. Do not overfill.
- Top the apple filling with a few small pieces of caramel.
- Brush around the edges of the dough with a finger dipped in egg wash. This will be the “glue”.
- Place a second dough circle on top each filled circle then use a fork to crimp the edges together.
- Brush each pie with the egg wash, and cut two vents on the top of each pie with a sharp knife. Sprinkle the pies with crystal sanding sugar (if desired) and place on prepared sheet pan.
- Bake the pies for 15 minutes, or until they’re golden brown. Enjoy!