#BundtBakers ~ Persian Orange Cake
Our theme this month was One Thousand and One Nights and our host is Lara from Tartacadabra. Lara invited us to "Let Scheherazade's tales ensnare you as they ensnared Shahryar. Let them inspire you to bake something with the most suggestive ingredients from Arabic, Persian and Indian kitchens."
This cake is fascinating. It has a very spongy, muffin like consistency, and we decided it would make a wonderful breakfast bread alongside your favorite cup of tea or coffee. It was delightfully infused with orange flavor throughout, and just a touch sweet. The crust gets nice and crunchy, and just a little sweet and sticky from the syrup that soaks into the warm cake.
The original recipe calls for a cream cheese frosting and some decadent toppings like crushed pistachios, figs, rose petals, etc. You could go all out with this one for something special, or enjoy it like I did with a nice cup of your favorite hot drink as a wonderful way to start (or end!) the day!
See all the gorgeous One Thousand and One Nights inspired cakes shared today:
- Almond Date Bundt Cake by Renee at Magnolia Days
- Almond Orange Basbousa Bundt by Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Arabian Nights Bundt Cake by Lara at Tartacadabra
- Honey Almond, Apricot, and Cream Cheese Filled Breakfast Cake by Colleen at Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Moroccan Bundt Cake by Bea and Mara at I Love Bundt Cakes
- Orange Cardamom Bundt by Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Orange Yogurt Bundt Cake by Kathya at Basic N Delicious
- Orange and Mint Bundt Cake by Terri at Our Good Life
- Persian Love Bundt Cake by Anshie at Spiceroots
- Persian Orange Cake by Rebekah at Making Miracles
- Pistachio Lemon & Rose Drizzle Bundt Cake by Laura at Baking in Pyjamas
- Pistachio Rose Baklava Bundt by Jacqueline at I Sugar Coat It!
- Roohafza Almond Bundt Cake by Shilpi at SimplyVeggies
- Rose Bundt Cake by Kelly at Passion Kneaded
- Saffron and Apricot Cake by Jane at Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Saffron and turmeric mini bundt cakes by Patricia at Patty's Cake
- The Blue Djinn of Babylon Persian Cardamom Bundt Cake by Bee at The Queen of Scones
- Turkish Delight Bundt Cake by Felice at All That's Left Are The Crumbs
Persian Orange Cake adapted from Finch and Forest
For the Cake2 oranges (or 6 clementines), peeled and white pith removed
1 2/3 cup sugar
3 cups all purose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom
For the Orange Syrup
zest and juice from 1 orange
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp orange extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place peeled oranges (or clementines) into a good quality blender (I used a VitaMix) and blend until smooth and combined; set aside.
- Whisk eggs and sugar until thick and pale, then fold in flour, spices, blended oranges, and baking powder until just combined.
- Spoon into a well greased and floured 10-cup Bundt pan and bake for 55 - 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into middle of cake comes out clean.
- For the syrup, place orange juice, sugar, and water in a small saucepan over low heat. Bring to a simmer; simmer for about 5 minutes until slightly thickened then add zest and orange extract.
- Let bundt cake rest for 10 - 15 minutes before flipping onto a serving platter. Gently poke holes all over the cake and then drizzle syrup over warm cake. Set aside to let the cake cool.